Wednesday, June 22, 2016

An Eighties Challenge, Day One

All it took was a thumbs up, a thumbs up of a post on Facebook, and my fate was sealed; the gauntlet thrown to select seven songs from Eighties, a misbegotten decade, and post them for all to enjoy (or mock, depending on the selection). Was I up to the challenge? Yes, although not wanting to limit "the fun" to Facebook I'd thought I'd bung them up here as well for all to enjoy.

The Eighties, as I recall them through the hazy fog of memory, were an interesting time to be alive. As I remember now it seemed a loud decade, mostly big and bright, peppered with quirky design and adorned with shocking typography, with too much time spent obsessing over shoulder pads or doing whatever Frankie told us to do. It was a time of grand technological advances, burgeoning globalisation, some excellent John Hughes movies and living in the near constant fear of either being atomised in a Nuclear Holocaust or catching something nasty that might make your winky fall off. Fun times indeed, all sound-tracked with a selection of tunes, some good, some bad, some classic and some that haven't aged very well at all.

First up on our brief and hopefully entertaining jaunt through the dusty 80's section of my record collection (as, yes, I promise that I will have owned or still have a copy of all the selections posted) is a gem of a tune from 1983. All drums, whistles and earnest clipped vocals, I first encountered Kissing The Pink thanks to that classic of Saturday morning television, No.73. I can't recall if the band were on before or after Roger Ramjet, or if they played The Sandwich Game, but I do know that I liked their song so much that I bought the 7" single....

No comments: