Thursday, June 23, 2016

An Eighties Challenge, Day Two

Day two of the Eighties Challenge where, of course, I've been tasked to choose seven songs in seven days from that decade of excess. Songs to delight, or songs to confuse. Maybe both.

Thinking about it now, despite the tricks memory plays, Saturdays had a regular routine about them (or at least they did until I discovered alcohol); mornings spent festering in front of the telly, flicking between BBC and ITV, followed by a walk into Fareham to waste a not inconsiderable amount of time in Venus Records perusing the 12" singles piled up in their 99p sales rack. Sometimes this exercise would offer up gems, a promo white label perhaps or a new release that had been slipped in to make things interesting, but more often than not I'd end up punting my pounds on something peculiar. All too often I'd be tempted by odd vinyl from bands I'd not heard of, risking my money on the cover alone, and have to wait until I got home to discover if I'd bought a classic or a new novelty place mat.

Today's offering is one from the 99p sales rack, it's not really a gem but it's not something I'd sit my plate of fish and chips on either, that I must have had some reason to buy unheard. A song by a band some might remember but most won't know, to be honest I was amazed to find the audio clip on YouTube (more so that it's on Spotify too), English Evenings released a handful of singles before disappearing back from whence they came. Set your controls for 1985 and, for the next six and a bit minutes, enjoy the slightly overblown 12" remix of I Will Return...

No comments: