Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Gigwatcher 21/03/2007

Do you want a pie with your gravy and fries combination?

I tell you, I'm getting proper fed up with the seemingly endless engineering works that Network Rail are inflicting on Portsmouth and the surrounding areas. Saturday night should have seen me quite happily sitting on a comfy chair, drinking beer whilst watching Holly Valance and Devon Aoki impress me with their martial artistry.

Instead I found myself standing at a bus stop for nearly an hour, freezing my Converse off, waiting for a replacement bus service because the men in the orange rave gear were doing things to the signals again. When the blinking flip bus finally arrived I impatiently leapt aboard (no, really I did) and scampered up to the top deck. All went well as far as Cosham, after which it soon transpired that I'd got on the wrong bus.

It sped past the Farlington turn-off and took me toward a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than Mos Eisley spaceport.

Havant Railway Station.

Thankfully the coach I was looking for made an appearance before too long and, with an ABBA loving coach driver at the wheel, I made it safely to Portsmouth.

I was only two hours late as well, which is pretty good for me.


*koff*

Moving swiftly on.. here's what I found listed in the back pages of this week's NME (which this week came with FREE stickers, just what I need to decorate my Sociology textbook):

The Little Flames @ Lennon's, Southampton - 24/03/2007
Air Traffic @ The Old Fire Station, Bournemouth - 25/03/2007
The Bees @ Audio, Brighton - 27/03/2007
Stephen Fretwell @ Red Roaster, Brighton - 11/05/2007
Duke Special @ The Brook, Southampton - 11/05/2007
Laura Marling @ Mono, Southampton - 08/04/2007
Good Books @ The Hope, Brighton - 12/04/2007
Good Books @ The Railway, Winchester - 14/04/2007
Ghosts @ The Joiners, Southampton - 15/04/2007
Luke Toms @ The Joiners, Southampton - 25/04/2007
The Cribs @ The Pyramids, Portsmouth - 06/06/2007
Kings of Leon @ BIC, Bournemouth - 04/07/2007
Babyshambles @ Brighton Centre, Brighton - 25/11/2007
Babyshambles @ BIC, Bournemouth - 26/11/2007

If events don't conspire against me again, and I don't get on the wrong bus and end up somewhere in the back of beyond, I'll update the SoMC Events Calendar with the above gigs just as soon as I can. The Events Calendar ecky ecky ecky ftang ftang gnarly whoop and all you need to do is register on the SoMC forum to use it. Here are some gigs I've lifted from the Events Calendar to tickle your fancy:

Buswell @ The Nell Gwynne, Portsmouth - 24/03/2007
The Strange Death Of Liberal England @ The Registry, Portsmouth - 29/03/2007
The Fall @ The Old Market, Brighton - 29/03/2007
The Cheese Doctors @ The Cellars at Eastney, Portsmouth - 31/03/2007
The Mods @ The Brook, Southampton - 05/04/2007
The Hollies @ The Anvil, Basingstoke - 11/04/2007
Voodoo Glow Skulls @ Nexus, Southampton - 18/04/2007
Steve Winwood @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 21/04/2007
Loudon Wainwright III @ The Guildhall, Southampton - 22/04/2007
The Go! Team @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 17/05/2007
The ELO Experience @ The Brook, Southampton - 18/05/2007

Monday night's cancelled Deftones gig at Portsmouth Guildhall has been rescheduled to Sunday 15th April. Karnataka's cancelled Thursday 1st March gig at The Brook has been rescheduled to Thursday 19th April. Original tickets for both events remain valid, which is nice.

What must be the worst kept secret this year, that The Rolling Stones will be headlining the Sunday night of the Isle of Wight Festival, was inadvertently sort of confirmed by Virgin Radio yesterday. The official site have yet to say it's so, and the article on Virgin Radio's website has up and disappeared, but it looks certain that rock's favourite pensioners will be strutting their stuff in Seaclose Park this June (if they don't fall asleep during Keane's set that is).

As mentioned previously the mighty Brannigan's Law will be sailing out into the Solent for their next gig, having been booked to play Spitbank Fort on Saturday 12th May alongside
The Model Village and The Fret. As some regular readers may recall the SoMC's own guitar hero Ant Shue is in the band, pictures of him perfecting his power lunge are available on the band's MySpace. Giggity!

In other news, I've posted up a link to the Museum of Bad Art on the sleepy confines of the forum; it really does feature some of the most appallingly bad paintings I've seen. Excellent.

And that just about wraps it up for this week, this afternoon I was mostly listening to Paul Anka swinging his way through some contemporary rock and pop classics. His take on Black Hole Sun is, arguably, better than the original.

:o)

PS One last thing, is it just me or does the new Take That single sound like the theme to The Fall Guy in places?

No comments: