Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Gigwatcher 08/03/2007

I feel like a military academy, bits of me keep passing out.

No, it's not the latest song by Panic at the Disco, it's genuinely how I feel today. After helping Banto move house yesterday (hence the 24 hour delay in the Gigwatcher hitting the streets) I appear to have discovered muscles that I'd long neglected. After discovering them I gave them a good kicking and told them not to bother me again.

Does anyone have a girdle I could borrow?

*koff*

Eyes down for a full house, here's what I found listed in the back pages of this week's NME:

The Xcerts @ The Joiners, Southampton - 12/03/2007
The Electric Cinema @ Pressure Point, Brighton - 27/03/2007
The Rakes @ The Guildhall, Southampton - 30/03/2007
Camera Obscura @ The Joiners, Southampton - 04/04/2007
Fortune Drive @ Ocean Rooms, Brighton - 07/04/2007
The Moths @ Audio, Brighton - 13/04/2007
Camera Obscura @ Komedia, Brighton - 17/04/2007
The Electric Soft Parade @ The Joiners, Southampton - 29/04/2007
Mr Hudson & The Library @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 20/05/2007

If I'm not liberally spraying parts of myself with Ralgex (which, as everyone knows, has a more potent effect than Lynx) I'll update the SoMC Events Calendar to include the above gigs. The Events Calendar is sprinkled with a wide variety of gigs in this here locale, to access it all you need do is register on the SoMC forum. For your consideration I've snipped the following gigs from it:

Jack Pe
ñate @ The Railway Inn, Winchester - 09/03/2007
Dragon Eye Morrison @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 10/03/2007
Rachelle Van Zante @ The Railway Inn, Winchester - 14/03/2007
Mastodon @ The Pyramids, Portsmouth - 14/03/2007
Perfect Alibi @ The Brook, Southampton - 24/03/2007
Keith Waith and the Macusi Players @ The Ashcroft Arts Centre, Fareham - 24/03/2007
Martin Simpson @ The Cellars at Eastney, Portsmouth - 28/03/2007
Scott Matthews @ The Pyramids, Portsmouth - 03/04/2007
Racketeers @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 13/04/2007
Julian Cope @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 15/05/2007

As nearly every other date on the Cold War Kids current tour has SOLD OUT it should come as no surprise that their gig at The Wedgewood Rooms on Thursday 19th April has done the same. Grobbits. The 36 Crazyfists gig at The Wedgewood Rooms on Sunday 22nd April has also SOLD OUT.

The Red Stripe Music Award 2007 Tour, effectively a countrywide battle of the bands competition (though the website says otherwise), pitches up at Talking Heads in Southampton on Thursday 12th April. Local acts Hijera, The Young Brothers Band and I Falter will be plying their trade in front of press, promoters and A&R types.
Once the tour finishes in April a judging panel (made up of A&R teams present at each gig) will pick the best six acts from the whole shebang. The final will be held in London in May with the winning act receiving a support slot on tour with "a profile band". Which is nice.

The most excellent Erin McKeown has been announced as the support for the equally excellent Thea Gilmore on her imminent tour (which visits The Brook on Sunday 18th March). I'll be there, as will Smudger and The Shar, and hopefully I'll have recovered from whatever St Patrick's Day shenanigans I inflict on my liver the night before.

And that just about wraps it up for this week, this afternoon I mostly listened to Pure Reason Revolution (which doesn't sound like a good name for a band, but it is.. a band I mean) and the sonorous offerings of Mr Perry's Didgeridoo (which isn't a band but sounds as though it should be).

:o)

No comments: