Saturday, December 22, 2018

Stealing Sheep - 'Wonderful Christmastime'

Some years ago, after a last minute rain-check from a chum, I found myself staring into a half-full pint glass in a pub on Albert Road, contemplating whether or not to have another beer before venturing into The Wedgewood Rooms to see Villagers. Erring on the side of caution I decided to gauge my decision on who the support act were; after a brief foray online I finished my beverage, exited the pub, and directed my feet to the venerable Southsea venue where I very much enjoyed Stealing Sheep's support set.

Two LPs, several singles and a few years later the Liverpool trio remain a consistently innovative and entertaining band, producing interesting and melodic electro-pop. The band are due to release their third long player in the new year but, for Christmas and specially recorded for Stuart Maconie & Mark Radcliffe's BBC Radio 6 Music afternoon show,  they've released a suitably electro cover of Macca's Wonderful Christmastime.

Paul McCartney's 1979 festive classic is twee pop gem which consistently divides opinion at this time of year. Love it or loathe it you will hear it at some point over the holiday season. Stealing Sheep's cover gifts the song with a mellow electronica vibe, delicate vocals and some welcome synth drum sounds.



The song will be available for download, at a pay-your-own-price rate, until Boxing Day so if you want to pep up your festive playlist with something interesting be sure not to hesitate.

No comments: