Tuesday, December 18, 2018

AK/DK - 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'

Despite my current curmudgeonly take on the Festive season I am, most definitely, a lover of that particular genre, the Christmas single. I also, it must be said, am rather partial to a cover version. Both these peccadilloes are, for some, tantamount to favouring both the Toffee Penny and the Peanut Cracknel in a musical box of Quality Street but that's just how it is. 

Good for me then that this landed in my mailbox this morning; Brighton's drum & synth duo AK/DK have covered the classic John & Yoko tune, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), spinning a dystopian take on the 1971 original. This version, which I can picture Marvin The Paranoid Android humming to himself as it positions another spaceship in Milliways' parking bay, serves as a fitting riposte to the Internet-splitting Miley Cyrus & Mark Ronson cover (the busy production of which flavours it more as a power ballad).



Obviously both of these versions have their merits, with the Miley & Mark cover also featuring the involvement of Sean Ono Lennon, but I feel I have to go with AK/DK's effort out of the two; it has a level of electronic quirk that appeals to me. If you're partial to a cover at Christmas, and want to hear a different version again of this classic tune, then I highly recommend giving the Boy George & Antony Hegarty cut a listen.

No comments: