Friday, October 05, 2018

What to see at Dials...

Albert Road will be alive with the sound of music this weekend; if Sunday's charity event at the Wedgewood Rooms is the feel-good coda, Saturday's Dials Festival is the magnum opus. Dials 2018 takes place across five venues on Southsea's favourite thoroughfare, all conveniently within ambling distance of each other, with a hand-picked selection of acts performing.

The organisers' sterling efforts have produced a line-up that is fair full to the brim with aural delights and, after some poring over the event's Clashfinder this week, I think I've just about worked what my pick of the pops are (one of whom, Yassassin, have unfortunately had to withdraw under doctor's orders), so without further ado here are the bands I'm looking forward to seeing at Dials 2018:

Temples of Youth (The Wine Vaults, 1330-1355)
Jo Carson and Paul Gumma are Temples of Youth, purveyors of moody yet delicate electronica that combines gorgeous vocals, synthesizers and guitar. They've received airplay locally via BBC Introducing and nationally on both BBC Radio 1 (Huw Stephens) and BBC 6 Music (Steve Lamacq). Did I mention that they're excellent? No? Oh, well they are so you should make sure you're at the Vaults in plenty of time to see them.



Dani Uziel (Bar Acapulco, 1400-1430) 
Portsmouth singer-songwriter Dani has played several of the city's smaller venues over the past year, garnering plaudits and gaining fans along the way. 



Lauran Hibberd (The Loft, 1445-1520)
If, like me, you like a mix of snarky lyrics and fuzzed-up guitar, you should direct your feet to The Loft (above The Kings pub) for Lauran Hibberd's set. Whilst her earlier material had a more delicate, folky feel the newer material rocks out a treat (will there be moshing during Call Shotgun? Hopefully).



Curxes (The Loft, 1700-1730)
At first listen Curxes' sophomore album, Gilded Cage, appears to be a mellower affair than 2015's Verxes. Yet, as the album unfolds, it soon becomes apparent that a dark and melancholic heart beats beneath the gorgeous synths and crisp production. A soundtrack waiting for an as-yet-unmade Netflix dystopian sci-fi fantasy? Definitely.



Krush Puppies (The Loft, 1900-1930)
London's Krush Puppies have a line of grungy fuzzed-up rock that's hard not to like, catch them at Dials ahead of their set at The Great Escape's FirstFifty gig in Hoxton next month. Of course, one of the things about festival is the clash and, yes, Krush Puppies clash with...



Horseflies (Bar Acapulco, 1900-1930)
Take a pinch of Deluxe Flamingoes, add a soupçon of Attack! Vipers! and what do you have? Horseflies. Lovely lovely Horseflies.



Bokito (The Wine Vaults, 1930-2000)
Once the clashes start there's no stopping them; so it is then that Bokito, hirsute suppliers of memorably quirky indie pop, are on at the same time as another band I'm hoping to see. Will Bokito have the edge as they appear to be named after a somewhat anti-social gorilla? Possibly.



Vinyl Staircase (Edge of The Wedge, 1930-2000)
Is there much to do in Dorking after dark? I don't know. I do, however, know that a vinyl staircase sounds very much like the kind of interior design that I'd splurge on should I ever win the lottery. Therefore the sound of Vinyl Staircase, which has a roll to its rock, appeals to me.



Fröst (Edge of The Wedge, 2030-2100)
Skipping gently past the three-way clash that is the scheduling of Lice, Breath Panel and Thyla (a clash which might require a roshambo to make a decision on) we arrive at Fröst. This Brighton-based duo have received national airplay on BBC 6 Music, with their glacial electronica finding favour with Guy Garvey, Gideon Coe and Lauren Laverne. So, I really don't to sell that one, do I?



Estrons (The Wedgewood Rooms, 2100-2130)
I must confess that I'm somewhat on the fence when it comes to Estrons which, given my appalling centre of gravity, makes for wild teetering between love and hate feelings towards them and their brand of indie. Whilst singer Tali is, frankly, devastatingly good in the vocal department I do wonder if, without her presence, the band would just be another indie outfit. Harsh? Possibly, though I'm still keenly looking forward to hearing the album.



Art School Girlfriend (The Wine Vaults, 2130-2200)
The Margate-based Art School Girlfriend (known to her chums as Polly) is preparing for her headline set at the Vaults tomorrow by a sold out show at St Pancras Old Church tonight. This is a set I'm very much looking forward to, a dark and atmospheric way to end my Dials experience (well, until I get a second-wind and head back to the Wedge for Tigercub).



And there we have it, a selection of bands that I'm really looking forward to see (and, in some cases, see again) at Dials 2018. That isn't to say that the rest of the acts on the packed line-up aren't to my taste, far from; I'm also hoping to see Mystic Peach, Fake Empire, Los Bitchos, Grace Savage... err, maybe I need to rework my recommendations? Oh dear. Regardless of who you or I see all of the artists on the bill are deserving of our support, as is the festival itself, and if I could splice myself into several clones I'd see all of the bands on all of the stages. Perhaps one day it might be possible, for now though I'll have to be that guy scuttling between the stages, Clashfinder clutched to sausage-fingered hand, trying not to miss any of the wonderful music. I can't wait.

No comments: