Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Late nights? Earlier doors...

Having The Wedgewood Rooms practically on my doorstep has always been a source of delight; it's a fantastic venue where, over the years, I've been lucky enough to see many artists at various stages of their careers (and, yes, I still shamelessly try and spot the gigs I've attended there from the multitude of posters that adorn the walls of its bar). 

Part of the experience of going to "the Wedge" is meeting up before the gig at one of the local hostelries, killing some time waiting for the doors to open with beer and conversation on whether or not to sample the delights of the support act (which we invariably did, if not then I'd never have seen The Killers and Franz Ferdinand when I did, or discover the live awesomeness that was The Computers).

The reason for propping up a bar elsewhere beforehand was because, for as long as I can remember, my favourite haunt has thrown wide its doors slightly later than other venues; the doors would open later, the bands would start later, the entertainment would end later, and there's the rub. Stay until the end or bolt for the last train or bus? Decisions decisions.

Admittedly this was more problematic when I lived outside of the city and, having resigned myself to not missing out on any music (which meant forsaking the last locomotive heading west out of Fratton), I always tried to make sure I had enough shrapnel in my pocket to cover the taxi home (which meant, on occasion, forsaking the shiny delights of the merch table). 

That was then. Now I live in Portsmouth getting home from the Wedge is just a shortish walk for me. However, having become accustomed to the late starts, several of my gig buddies and I have all had to undergo a period of adjustment when seeing a gig at a venues further afield. Whilst it seemed initially strange that gigs in Brighton and London would start and finish earlier, the realisation that this left enough time to make the last train, including grabbing a bite or a pint at the station before the journey home, was a welcome one.

Times change, which of course means times change. Opening times I mean, more precisely those of The Wedgewood Rooms. Apparently, due to popular demand, door times are moving back to 1930 which also means, obviously, that an evening's mellifluous delights should finish by 2300. This brings the venue more in line with others, makes getting the last train home slightly more easier for those who have to travel and, personally speaking, means in future that I'm more likely to make it home before midnight for my mug of bedtime Horlicks.

The venue is phasing the introduction of its new door time over the Autumn period; by 2019 all gigs should start earlier (comedy and club nights are unaffected). They're also genuinely interested if that's the ideal time for a gig to finish or still too late, canvassing for opinions via their Facebook page. It's OK by me, though it does mean I might have to finish my pint in The Merchant House a little quicker than before.


No comments: