Monday, September 26, 2011

Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.

No sooner have R.E.M. decided to split up then news of a final Greatest Hits release lands. Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage will be released this November, a double CD that plunders the band's back catalogue for songs you probably already have plus three new songs recorded after Collapse Into Now was completed. For the most part I'm happy with the large chunk of the band's oeuvre I've already paid out for (call me old fashioned but that's how I am) so I can't see myself buying it.

Nevertheless it got me to thinking about what tracks I'd throw onto an R.E.M. compilation CD; what songs I'd include, what songs I'd leave off and why. Then I noticed that the chaps from Pet Sounds had already assembled a packed Spotify playlist over at Strong Island which is more deserving of a listen then something I'd conjure up.

But, whilst you're waiting for Spotify to load up, you could always give the following a listen; first up quite possibly my favourite R.E.M. song ever. It's just... well, you had to be there.


Next perhaps an obvious choice, but there's a (suitably dumb) reason why; once upon a time my local pub had, tucked away on its jukebox, the Greenpeace Rainbow Warriors CD. It was only CD in the damn thing with any R.E.M. on it at all, hence this got played an awful lot.


And finally.. I know, I could've picked something heavier/darker (i.e. anything from Monster) but this is a beautiful tune.

No comments: