Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fake Fest 2011

Just when you think the festival season is over another one pops up to extend it. Sort of. Fake Fest is Southsea's own tribute act festival; a celebration of some of the world's best bands by some of the UK's best fakers, which takes place this Saturday, 1st October.

Castle Field will come alive to the classic tunes of Queen, The Rolling Stones and the Foo Fighters courtesy of Chichester's Rhapsody, Kent's Fool Fighters and Bath's Rolling Zones. In addition there'll be support from "the best local cover bands and the coolest DJ on the decks" (I'm quoting the ad in the paper, no support details have been released that I can find).

As much as I like tribute bands (they're often the only way to experience a live performance of certain band's songs) and as much as I think this sounds like a great idea I must admit to feeling a slight bristle upon seeing the ticket price. Advanced tickets are £19.99 (or £25 on the day), children ages 16 and under can go free with a paying adult (one child per adult).

Admittedly this is considerably less than you'd pay to experience just one of the real versions of the bands represented (I'm not going to work out the developmental costs of building a time machine to see Queen at Wembley in 1986, I'd figure there'd be a lot of zeroes involved though). However I saw more original music for less at Southsea Fest last week (come to think of it I saw more fake music for considerably less in Gosport a couple of months ago).

Regardless of my idle kvetching I hope the event is successful, Castle Field is a great space for something like this and Portsmouth has been missing a suitably chunky musical event of this ilk since the Heineken Big Top was packed away many years ago. The event strap-line is "a full experience of a festival without the price tag!", whether this means Glastonbury style toilets or Bestival style fancy dress will be in effect is your guess as much as mine. 


Tickets can be purchased via The News' website (select Event Tickets from the list of items on the left of the page) or by phone on 01243 534125/534126

No comments: