Sunday, February 03, 2019

Girli - 'Deal With It'

A few years ago at The Great Escape, in the pub on Brighton Pier, several hundred of us punters waited to catch Black Honey's headline set. However, before the local indie rockers took the stage, we were entertained by two acts whose sets bordered on performance art.

Whilst art-indie ensemble Drones Club employed masked dancers to interact with the crowd, with two juddering figures who moved around the room in a disquieting way, indie-pop chanteuse Girli challenged the male contingent of the crowd to deal with menstruation, throwing sanitary pads into the crowd at the end of the set (at least, that's what I remember). Yes, Girli's set definitely stuck in my memory and, much like every new act I encounter at The Great Escape, the artist was added to my ever-growing Ones To Watch list.

New single Deal With It is three minutes of shouts, call-outs and catchy beats, a football chant interlaced with a driven, annoyingly repetitive, tune that drills into your brain whether you like it or not. Admittedly it's not, for me, quite as strong as previous single Day Month Second (which was, quite rightly, selected as a 6Music Recommends track by Lauren Laverne) but is still rather good if you like that kind of thing (which I do). At the very least I expect to hear this ditty played on the next series of Made In Chelsea (yes, there go my alternative muso credentials).



Deal With It is from Girli's forthcoming debut long player, Odd One Out, due for release in April.

No comments: