Thursday, August 16, 2018

Susanna - 'Freight Train'

There are few better ways to entertain a musically inclined tourist to Portsmouth than by introducing them to the gem that is Southsea's Pie & Vinyl; with its wallet melting selection of shiny vinyl and delicious pies it deserves to be shown off. And so it was I found myself there the weekend just gone, treating a visitor from the Big Smoke to lunch, where I happened upon the shop's latest venture.

Beneath The Noise is the P&V free magazine, a near pocket-sized pamphlet of news, reviews and interviews that hit the shelves in time for this year's Record Store Day (I know, I've been busy). It's a well-assembled zine that sits well amongst the copies of So Young & DIY on the shop's shelves, what really grabbed my attention though was the cover.

Staring up at me was Susanna Wallumrød, possibly better known to some as half of Susanna & The Magical Orchestra (the other half being pianist Morten Qvenild) though now primarily a solo artist. I must confess that, since 2006's Melody Mountain, Susanna had fallen off my radar somewhat, thus the interview in BTN made for an interesting read to bring me up to date.
 
Susanna's latest release, Go Dig My Grave, is a collection of themed cover versions, performed with the same delicate nuance that I'd enjoyed with her Magical Orchestra releases (her version of Dolly Parton's Jolene has to be heard to be believed). The new album includes takes on the Lilac Wine, Perfect Day and Joy Division's Wilderness, her reworking of Elizabeth Cotten's Freight Train is presented below.




As a bonus, here are two live clips I've found, one of a Don Henley hit, the other an AC/DC classic (no really):




 
If you'd like to know more about Susanna I'd suggest toddling along to P&V, picking up a copy of Beneath The Noise, and having a read whilst you wait for your pie to arrive.

No comments: