Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Gigwatcher 28/02/2007

Thorin sits down and starts singing about gold.

So I ventured down into the staff restaurant at lunchtime, wondering what delights would await me as a Medieval theme menu had been organised for us hard-working civil service types. Much to my chagrin there were no busty wenches serving mead from large earthenware jugs, a serious lack of jousting and not one person humming the Knights of the Round Table song from Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

*koff*

OK, so hands up who's now got the tune in their heads? Excellent! Moving swiftly on, here's what I found listed in the back pages of this week's NME:

The Strange Death of Liberal England @ The Joiners, Southampton - 08/03/2007
The Five O'Clock Heroes @ The Joiners, Southampton - 18/03/2007
The Strange Death of Liberal England @ The Registry, Portsmouth - 29/03/2007
SixNationState @ The Joiners, Southampton - 06/04/2007
Midlake @ Concorde 2, Brighton - 12/04/2007
Yourcodenameis:Milo @ The Joiners, Southampton - 16/04/2007
The Wombats @ Unit22, Southampton - 05/05/2007
The Pigeon Detectives @ Southampton University - 20/05/2007
Travis @ BIC, Bournemouth - 23/05/2007
New Young Pony Club @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 07/06/2007
New Young Pony Club @ Concorde 2, Brighton - 08/06/2007

I'll add those gigs into the SoMC Events Calendar as soon as I can, if I'm not too busy quaffing ale or saving young maidens from fiery dragons that is. The Events Calendar is jam packed of all sorts of gigs in the local area and can be clicked through to your heart's content just as soon as you've registered on the forum. To pique your interest I've plucked the following gigs from it:

Monique & The Paris Lite Band @ New Theatre Royal, Portsmouth - 02/03/2007
Polly & The Billet Doux @ The Railway Inn, Winchester - 04/03/2007
Barclay James Harvest @ The Anvil, Basingstoke - 13/03/2007
Archie Bronson Outfit @ Audio, Brighton - 20/03/2007
DJ Format @ Ryde Theatre, Ryde - 24/03/2007
The Exits @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 31/03/2007
Martin Carthy @ The Cellars at Eastney, Portsmouth - 11/04/2007
Little Green @ The Joiners, Southampton - 18/04/2007
Anti-Nowhere League @ The Railway Inn, Winchester - 19/04/2007
Ugly Duckling @ The Consortium, Bournemouth - 27/04/2007

Bedouin Soundclash's gig at The Wedgewood Rooms on Thursday 15th March is now SOLD OUT. In a not so surprising turn of events so is the Rick Buckler & Bruce Foxton (from The Jam) gig there on Sunday 27th May.

Pancake Eating Freaks will be supporting The Rage Against The Machine UK Tribute at The Wedgewood Rooms on Friday 16th March. I mention this as it's also their uncle's birthday the same day. He's asked me to ask you to buy him a drink if you see him there, I'm sure you good people won't let me down.

The really rather tuneful One Weird Fish will be appearing at The Cellars at Eastney this Saturday. I'll be there and, although it's not my birthday until May, I'll let you buy me a drink if you feel you must. I'm easy like that.

If you're as confused by the current music licensing laws as I am then why not make yourself heard. A petition has been posted at the Number 10 website for you to register your disapproval, just point your browser here and do the necessary.

And that just about wraps it up for this week, this afternoon I was mostly listening to ELO. Rock. Next week I'll be helping Banto move house, so the Gigwatcher will be hitting the streets on Thursday.

:o)

No comments: