Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Gigwatcher 24/01/2007

Just when you thought it was safe.

There I was at lunchtime, idly flicking through the NME whilst munching on a cheese and onion roll, with not a care in the world. All was good in my world. And then I turned the page. There it was, the news I never thought I'd see. Straight away my skin started to crawl, a cold feeling of dread gripped my stomach and a wave of nausea swept over me.

I read it again. No, it was true. There was no denying it.

James have reformed.

[insert Charlton Heston style NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO like from the end of Planet of the Apes here]

What? What do you mean it's not that bad? It is, trust me. If I hear that bally song of theirs one more time I'll go postal. Or cry. Or possibly both.

*koff*

It's not all gloom though. In a karmic balancing act akin to that of the Mint card adverts I read on the BBC News site that Crowded House are reforming as well. Nice.

Anyway, enough of that.. here's what I found listed in the back of the NME this week:

Foals @ The Joiners, Southampton - 12/02/2007
The Early Years @ The Engine Room, Brighton - 13/02/2007
Duke Special @ Duke of Yorks, Brighton - 17/02/2007
Micah P. Hinson @ Audio, Brighton - 19/02/2007
The Pigeon Detectives @ Audio, Brighton - 04/03/2007
Bromheads Jacket @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 11/03/2007
The Hours @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 12/03/2007
Towers of London @ Concorde 2, Brighton - 19/03/2007
Good Shoes @ Concorde 2, Brighton - 28/03/2007
Enter Shikari @ The Pyramids, Portsmouth - 28/03/2007
The Waterboys @ The Guildhall, Portsmouth - 08/05/2007
Ray Davies @ The Centre, Brighton - 26/05/2007
Damien Rice @ BIC, Bournemouth - 09/10/2007

As is usual practice I'll add the above gigs into the SoMC Events Calendar. I've lovingly plucked the gigs below from the calendar as a taster:

Whole Lotta Led @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 26/01/2007
Hundred Reasons @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 30/01/2007
Bluesky Research @ The Cellars at Eastney, Portsmouth - 31/01/2007
Fairport Convention @ The Brook, Southampton - 02/02/2007
pluck @ The Ashcroft Arts Centre, Fareham - 10/02/2007
Sonny Black @ The RMA Tavern, Portsmouth - 15/02/2007
Zoot Money's Blues Quintet @ The Brook, Southampton - 22/02/2007
Frank Sidebottom @ The Alma Arms, Portsmouth - 25/02/2007

A provisional line-up for this year's Wickham Festival has been released. As I alluded to last week the big headline act for the opening night is Jethro Tull; also there this August will be Boo Hewerdine, The Hamsters, Eliza Carthy, Eddi Reader, The Men They Couldn't Hang, The Sawdoctors and (wait for it) Dean Friedman. I'll add a posting on the forum with more information.

This Saturday Portsmouth Guildhall plays host to a rocktastic showcase featuring four local bands. Big Squirrel, Five Mile Drive, Dragon Eye Morrison and Little London make up the bill, tickets are a very reasonable £8.00 in advance (or £10.00 on the door).

And that just about wraps it up for this week; I was going to rant off on one about the NME giving The Decemberists' new CD a measly 6 out of 10 but I predicted they'd do as much months ago. This afternoon I have mostly been listening to The Young Knives, they're a bit bonkers but I like 'em.

No comments: