Friday, December 01, 2006

The Gigwatcher 01/12/2006

Urgh.

Apologies for the excessive tardiness this week but I've been a tad unwell. I don't mean 'unwell' in a Jeffrey Bernard sense, I've not been languishing in a bar drinking heavily and doing bad O'Toole impressions (though that's something I can try tomorrow).

I've had one of the many many strains of lurgee that are doing the rounds, and very unpleasant it was too (I'll spare you the gory details). Thus I got to spend a few days at home, moaning pathetically as us blokes are wont to do when we're not feeling that great, watching old films* on TV and getting cajoled into online gaming by the chaps at work (even on my sick bed I can't escape it).

But now I'm feeling much better so, for some foolish reason, I decided to come back to work. On a Friday. Ah. Weddun.

*koff*

Luckily the nice lady in the shop had held onto my NME, so here are the pick of the new gigs I found listed in the back pages:

The Mescalitas @ Lennons, Southampton - 02/12/2006
Jackie-O Mofo @ Pressure Point, Brighton - 11/12/2006
The Enemy @ The Joiners, Southampton - 02/02/2007
+44 @ The Guildhall, Southampton - 09/02/2007
ShockWaves NME Awards 'Indie Rock' Tour 2007 (featuring The Horrors, The Automatic) @ The Guildhall, Southampton - 16/02/2007
Amy Winehouse @ The Guildhall, Southampton - 18/02/2007
ShockWaves NME Awards 'Indie Rave' Tour 2007 (featuring Klaxons, CSS) @ The Pyramids, Portsmouth - 20/02/2007
The Rifles @ The University, Southampton - 07/03/2007

Don't forget that ALL the gigs I list each week are added into the SoMC Events Calendar, it's literally packed to the gunnells with local gigs for local people (i.e. you guys). However, in order to peruse its contents you'll need to be registered on the SoMC forum. Once you've signed up you can post up reviews, jokes, web-links et al on the forum boards. If you're still undecided, here's some gigs from the Events Calendar that I've picked for your perusal:

Red Honey & The Pimps @ The Nell Gwynne, Portsmouth - 02/12/2006 (featuring the legendary John 'Two Chillies' Nixon)
Easy Star All-Stars @ The Brook, Southampton - 04/12/2006
UK Subs @ The Joiners, Southampton - 07/12/2006
The White Knuckle Blues Band @ The Cellars at Eastney, Portsmouth - 09/12/2006
Tony McPhee @ The Joiners, Southampton - 10/12/2006
Fi Lo Beddow (aka Mark Morriss of The Bluetones) @ The Joiners, Southampton - 18/12/2006
Seth Lakeman @ The Brook, Southampton - 19/12/2006
The Bog Rolling Stones (acoustic) @ Little Johnny Russells, Portsmouth - 20/12/2006
A Tribute To Joe Strummer (featuring The Neville Staples Band and Amsterdam) @ The Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth - 21/12/2006
Wilko Johnson @ The Cellars at Eastney, Portsmouth - 30/01/2007

Both of the 'local' gigs by Faithless, 24th March at the BIC and 27th March at the Brighton Centre, are now SOLD OUT. I can't gets no tickets.. doo doo doo doo de de doo doo doo doo de de.. quite.

As you should all be aware, today is World Aids Day. In an effort to promote AIDS awareness (and have a laugh at the same time) local beat combo Hudson10 are joining forces with the one and only Adi Henry to become Adi & The Gaze. They're playing a FREE gig at the Old Vic in Portsmouth TONIGHT. It's likely to get a bit raucous, if the blurb here is anything to go by.

I can't wrap up this week's edition without a mention of the passing of Alan 'Fluff' Freeman, DJ and legend. RIP Fluff. Not 'arf. Well, that's about it for this week pop pickers.. this afternoon I have mostly been listening to Amy Winehouse. She scares me. A lot.

;o)

* The classic "I Was A Male War Bride" was on Sky Cinema, cheered me up no end.

No comments: