Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Gigwatcher 01/11/2006

Pinch, punch, first of the month..

November hoves into view and brings with it the first icy wind of the season, thankfully I invested wisely in a new duvet during the summer months so I wasn't a complete block of ice first thing this morning. Of course, some might say that the addition of double-glazing or central heating would improve matters further but I'm slight distrustful of such modern thinking (and Ted Moult always gave me the heebie-jeebies, though not as much as that BOGOF bloke I must say).

With the nights drawing in you'll be glad to know that there's a panoply of gigs coming our way over the next few months, which is just as well as The Amazing Mrs Pritchard finishes next week.

*koff*

Moving swiftly on, here's the pick of the gigs listed in the back pages of this week's NME:

CSS @ Nexus, Southampton - 16/11/2006
Polytechnic @ The Old Consortium, Bournemouth - 30/11/2006
The Bishops @ Sumo, Brighton - 05/12/2006
The Hot Puppies @ Pressure Point, Brighton - 04/12/2006
The Good, The Bad & The Queen @ South Parade Pier, Southsea - 28/01/2007
Jamie T @ The Pyramids, Portsmouth - 30/01/2007
Bowling For Soup @ The Guildhall, Southampton - 07/02/2007
Pink Grease @ The Joiners, Southampton - 24/02/2007
James Morrison @ The Guildhall, Southampton - 26/02/2007
The Killers @ Brighton Centre, Brighton - 03/03/2007
My Chemical Romance @ Brighton Centre, Brighton - 21/03/2007

I'll update the SoMC's Events Calendar with those when I get a spare five minutes, and here's Troy McClure to tell you all about it...

"Hello, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such emails as 'Comedy Cat Photos' or 'RE: Fish fish!'. The SoMC Events Calendar is literally (thought not actually) packed with a selection of gigs coming your way. In order to access this resource you'll need to be registered on the SoMC forum (if you're not registered then no dice I'm afraid). Once signed-up you'll also be able to post on the forum, though not about fish unfortunately. If you're still unconvinced then this handy posting on the forum should answer most of your questions. Isn't that right Jimmy?"

Yes. Well. Here's a selection of local gigs up and coming that I've found in my journeys across the internet:

Jason Donovan @ Chicago Rock Cafe, Fareham - 02/11/2006
Altan @ Turner Sims Hall, Southampton - 04/11/2006
Blue Horses @ The Brook, Southampton - 04/11/2006
Deacon Blue @ The Guildhall, Portsmouth - 06/11/2006
The Jamm @ Chicago Rock Cafe, Fareham - 08/11/2006
The Selecter @ The Joiners, Southampton - 08/11/2006
Seu Jorge & AfroReggae @ The Anvil, Basingstoke - 17/11/2006
Dead!Dead!Dead! @ The Joiners, Southampton - 16/12/2006
Steven Seagal @ The Brook, Southampton - 24/02/2007 (yes, THAT Steven Seagal! I don't honestly know if parts of the set will be 'sped up' to make his guitar playing look slicker)

The Ed Harcourt gig at The Wedgewood Rooms, postponed from 14/10/2006 due to a touch of laryngitis, has been rescheduled to 22/11/2006.

The techies at Last.FM have tweaked their website again. This time they've added gig-listings to which you can add yourself as an attendee, after which it adds an entry into your calendar. Nice. They've also added a selection of free MP3s for download, again tailored to your listening habits. If anyone out there wants a Last.FM invite then leave a comment and I'll send you one.

As for the forum, things are appearing on the YouTube thread. I've added some Pure Reason Revolution and Stu has posted a cracking slice of old skool hip-hop. There's also a link to a Prog Band Name Generator. Nice.

And that's about it for this week. I'm off to ride around the city on my bike all day cos the cops took away my licence. Ahem.

No comments: